This Privacy Notice explains how we, at The Coffee Break Lessons, process information about visitors to our blog. This blog is powered by WordPress and we want to make you aware of the the services it provides through WordPress.com, Jetpack (including WooCommerce Services), IntenseDebate, Polldaddy.com, and Akismet.
Who’s Who and What This Privacy Notice Covers
Let’s talk first about who we are at The Coffee Break Lessons, what we do, and what this Privacy Notice covers.
The Coffee Break Lessons is a blog that is a lexicon of random facts. The objective is to get people to learn something new everyday.
- WordPress.com offers the design, features, and support to bring a website to life.
- With Jetpack, website owners that host their websites elsewhere can connect those websites to features and tools available through WordPress.com and WooCommerce Services.
- Polldaddy helps site owners create quizzes, surveys, and polls that fit their brand and vision.
Visitors to The Coffee Break Lessons and the above sites can read published content and interact with the sites through features such as comments, “likes,” poll/survey responses, and follows.
We put together this Privacy Notice to help our Users understand the personal information we collect about them on The Coffee Break Lessons and the sites listed above is obtained and used and what your rights are in respect of your personal data. We refer to all of these collectively as our “Users’ Sites”.
Alright, with those introductions out of the way, let’s turn to how we collect, use, and share information about visitors to our Users’ Sites.
Information We Collect About Visitors to Our Users’ Sites
We collect information about visitors to our Users’ Sites in a few different ways–we collect certain information that the visitors provide to the Site, we collect some information automatically, and we collect any information that our Users provide to us about their visitors.
Information a Visitor Provides to a Site
We’ll start with information that visitors provide directly to a Site, which primarily happens when visitors type into a text field on a Site, like a comment field or a sign-up form. Our Users may also implement other ways to allow Site visitors to provide information directly through their Sites.
Here are the most common ways in which a visitor directly provides information to a Site:
- Follower and Subscriber Information: When a visitor signs up to follow or subscribe to a Site we collect the sign-up information requested by the Site, which typically includes a name and an email address.
- Site Comments: When a visitor leaves a comment on a Site, we collect that comment, and other information that the visitor provides along with the comment, such as the visitor’s name and email address.
- PollDaddy Survey Responses: When a visitor completes a poll, quiz, or other type of survey prepared by a User via Polldaddy.com, we collect the visitor’s responses to those surveys, and other information that the survey owner requires for a poll/quiz/survey response, like an e-mail address.
- Third-party data sharing: If a visitor on our Site clicks through (e.g. via a link in the text) to a third-party site we may use this information for purposes such as to inform User analytics and traffic to and from our Site.
- Other Information Entered on the Site: We may also collect other information that a visitor enters on the Site–such as a contact form submission, a search query, or Site registration.
Information We Automatically Collect from the Site
We also automatically collect some information about visitors to a Site. The information we automatically collect depends on which of our services the Site uses. We’ve listed examples below:
- Technical Data from a Visitor’s Computer and Etcetera: We collect the information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available about visitors to a Site, such as the IP address, browser type, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information.
- Visitor Interactions: We collect information about a visitor’s interactions with a Site, including the “likes” and “ratings” left by visitors.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of a visitor’s device from the IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, tally for our Users how many people visit their Sites from certain geographic regions.
- Polldaddy Response Information: We collect information about visitors who respond to a Polldaddy survey. The information that we collect typically includes IP address, browser type, operating system, user agent, and the web page last visited.
Other Information Provided by Our Users
We also collect any other information that our Users provide to us about visitors to their Sites. For example, a User may upload a directory or other information about Site visitors and customers to the “backend” administrative platform for managing the Site.
How We Use Visitor Information
We use information about Site visitors in order to operate, maintain and develop the thecoffeebreaklessons.com blog. Our users may use our blog to, for example, comment on a blog, like a blog, send feedback or contribute a blog which will be sent to the administrator’s email for moderation before posting.
We may also use and share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify any individual. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our services.
How We Share Visitor Information
We may share information collected about site visitors in the limited circumstances spelled out below:
- Co-contributors and Independent Contractors: We may disclose site visitor information to our subsidiaries, our employees, and individuals who are our independent contractors that need to know the information in order to help us provide our services to our users and its associated sites (listed above) on which it relies to function, or to process the information on our behalf. We require them to follow this Privacy Notice for information about visitors that we share with them and to maintain an obligation of confidentiality.
- Third Party Vendors: We may share site visitor information with third party vendors who need to know this information in order to provide their services to us. This group includes vendors that help us provide our services to our users and its associated sites (listed above) on which it relies to function. We require vendors to agree to privacy commitments in order to share information with them.
- Legal Requests: We may disclose Site visitor information in response to a summons, court order, or other governmental request, law or applicable regulation.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: We may disclose Site visitor information when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of The Coffee Break Lessons and its associated sites (listed above) on which it relies to function, our users, third parties, or the public at large.
- Business Transfers: In connection with any merger, sale of company assets, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company, or in the unlikely event that The Coffee Break Lessons goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, site visitor information would likely be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party. If any of these events were to happen, this Privacy Notice would continue to apply to site visitor information and the party receiving this information may continue to use this information, but only consistent with this Privacy Notice.
- Information Shared Publicly: Information that visitors choose to make public is disclosed publicly. That means, of course, that information like visitor comments, blogs, and “likes” are all available to others, including information about the visitor that is displayed in connection with a comment or “like” (such as a visitor’s name or profession). Public information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties.
You are entitled by law to the following rights in respect of your personal data:
- Access to your personal information held by us in a convenient and portable format.
- Rectification of any incorrect or changed information.
- Erasure – where it is no longer necessary for us to process this data in relation to the purposes for which we collected or processed the data, or if we processed this data on the basis of your consent and you have since withdrawn this consent.
- Objection to your data being processed where we process your data in reliance on a lawful basis of legitimate interest unless can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds to do so.
- Restriction of the processing of your personal data to what is necessary if circumstances have changed or consent (in respect of parts of your personal data) is withdrawn.
- Withdrawal of consent in whole or in part.
- A complaint you might have about the use of your information
Legal Basis for Processing Your Personal Data
We will lawfully process your data where one or more of the following conditions apply.
- to comply with our accountability requirements and regulatory obligations globally
- necessary for entry into, or performance of, any contract(s) with you
- where there is a legitimate interest for processing such data, where these are not overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms
- the protection of the public interest or vital interests of the client (data subject)or any other person
- where you provide your consent (as you have chosen to visit this site your consent is given but you may withdraw your consent to processing your information at any time by contacting us (see above)
Our Users’ Sites may contain ads from third party ad networks and advertisers, and our users may integrate other tools and services on their Sites (such as Google Analytics and third party plugins). Please note that this Privacy Notice only covers the collection of information by The Coffee Break Lessons, and does not cover the collection by any third party including the associated sites listed above which are not owned or controlled by The Coffee Break Lessons.
Ad networks and analytics providers may set tracking technologies (like cookies) to collect information about visitors’ use of a Site and across other websites and online services, such as a visitor’s IP address, web browser, mobile network information, pages viewed, time spent on pages, links clicked, and conversion information. This information may be used by those companies to, among other things, analyze and track usage, determine the popularity of certain content, and deliver advertisements that may be more targeted to visitor interests. For more information about how to manage and delete cookies, visit aboutcookies.org, and for more information on interest-based ads, including information about how visitors may be able to opt out of having their web browsing information used for behavioral advertising purposes, please visit aboutads.info/choices (US based) and youronlinechoices.eu (EU based).